Blog Archive

Friday, January 1, 2016

What does yoga mean to me? Chapter 1 - Take Your Medicine

So here’s the thing about surviving cancer, it’s the outcome you desperately want…but is it the outcome you deserve?
No one wishes to die from cancer but surviving brings a whole host of unintended consequences. When I first heard the fatal prognosis from my doctor, there was nothing I wanted more than to prove him wrong and survive.
Once I started treatments it all got tricky though. I was so fortunate not to have to undergo radiation treatment; but walking into the Oncology unit each time, as I sat in the waiting room and walked through the halls full of someone’s kid, someone’s mother, other patients who weren’t as lucky, who maybe weren’t going to survive...
The guilt started to grow. Were they not fighting hard enough, praying hard enough, didn’t they want to live just as badly as me? What does it even fucking mean to say you fought cancer bravely? Who is ever mentally prepared to deal with this shit? Why should I feel so ashamed about this? How am I the lucky one? How do I leave the unit with a smile after each round of good news, accept the good wishes of the staff, how dare I celebrate?
I was diagnosed in the spring of 1997 in Prince George, but I still had hard work to do; I still had to break the news to my family. My new wife and I made the long tense drive to Edmonton to sit down with my mom, my brother, my family and break the news. I’m sure I was brave, dismissed everyone’s fear, and embraced their positivity. We spent the weekend together and when I left I was full of confidence that I had everything I needed to get through this summer…




Sucker punch…
Mom was diagnosed only 30 days later. Colon cancer…and the odd thing is she was given a prognosis of a favorable outcome. She was certain she would survive, and all of her early scans and x-rays showed good news. At one point she came home from a checkup with the greatest news! Her latest scan was completely clear!! I will never forget sitting at my desk crying with her over the phone together, celebrating a miracle.
From that day on, nothing would be the same again. The next scan showed spots all over her organs, her treatments weren’t working anymore. She called less frequently, sounded weak when she did call, but her words were always positive. The doctor says there is nothing to worry about, I’m just tired from the chemo, I’m fine! And I believed because I had to, for my sanity.
She died in September, lasted barely a year. I was home in Prince George when I got the call that this would be her last day and I needed to be there. I argued with my uncle, how could this be, I spoke with her last week, she told me she was well enough to come home?? He was the one who finally let me in on the dirty secret…she had sheltered me, she was home for hospice, she always knew she was going to succumb...I left for Edmonton immediately but I never made it in time.



PTSD is a real motherfucker…
For a long time I could fool myself and ignore it, therapy was recommended but I fooled them too. “Shawn has sufficient ego and self-esteem to cope”.




"Take Your Medicine" Cloud Cult 

Got myself a new look, something gave me another chance to see. Each time, each time I will try to do better. Right now, right now is where I guess I belong.

Pulled my fist from my mouth. I beat myself for a quarter century. Remind, remind that it's bigger than me. Dissolve, dissolve into evergreens.

These are things that I keep hidden in belly. I can't see them but they control my life. For a moment you could see right through me, See right through me. Help me make this right. Look at all those skeletons running from their closets, get them in the light!

These are things that I keep hidden in belly. I can't see them but they control my life. For a moment you could see right through me, See right through me. Help me make this right. Look at all those skeletons running from their closets, get them in the light!

You can take it in stride, or you can take it right between the eyes. Suck up, suck up and take your medicine. It's a good day, it's a good day to face the hard things.

Pulled my fist from my mouth. I beat myself for a quarter century. Remind, remind that it's bigger than me. Dissolve, dissolve into evergreens.

We found beautiful babies sleeping in our ribs. Get them in the light. Get them in the light.

You can take it in stride, or you can take it right between the eyes. Suck up, suck up and take your medicine.

We found beautiful babies sleeping in our ribs. Get them in the light. Get them in the light.

You can take it in stride, or you can take it right between the eyes. Suck up, suck up and take your medicine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews