Blog Archive

Friday, January 22, 2016

What does yoga mean to me? Chapter 22 - Florida


April 2008 was a blur of physio, acupuncture and chiropractic appointments. My health benefits came nowhere near to covering my expenses so I went straight to work the week after the accident; between the physical agony and the daily hangovers my work activity level plummeted. I was still successfully selling but I was doing the absolute bare minimum to keep my income acceptable and when the senior brother called me into his office one afternoon I was expecting the worst.

I couldn’t have been more wrong though. He had noticed the changes in me since the end of my marriage and the accident and had a proposition for me. He suggested that a fresh start and a change of scenery was the best solution for my run of bad luck and that a newly created position in the Okanagan was mine if I wanted it. Even better, he offered to take me under his wing on a mentorship with an eye to becoming a partner in the company.

I was overjoyed!! I had spent most of my life in BC and even though I had family and good friends in Edmonton, I was tired of the rut I had dug for myself and I accepted both of the offers immediately.

The coaching began right away, and in a series of meetings we negotiated the new position, compensation and benefits. I was to move out to Penticton to open a new office and develop the south Okanagan territory. I would be a Regional Manager answering to the head office in Edmonton, and I would be required to hire the staff and run the new office. Eventually I would become a full partner in the company with the potential to take over complete ownership once the brothers retired.

Almost from the start there were red flags that should have caused me to back away. First, a colleague let slip that she had been made the same offers months before and had turned them down. Second, there was nothing but confusion regarding when the move would actually take place. I pushed to go right away, but there were a series of lame excuses and avoidance as spring turned into summer until finally he relented and set the first week of October as the date I would head out to Kelowna to start my new adventure. My brother found a new place to live; I negotiated to break the lease in my rental home, packed my belongings into storage and made all the final preparations to head west.

I hadn’t reached rock bottom yet but I was now moving into position to see it if I looked hard enough…


"Florida" Modest Mouse

Although we often wondered, it was no thing of wonder
The shit that flew from our minds
Well, grass stains and fresh fruit remind our shoes of horse glue
On this ridiculous climb

With great tunnel vision, we built ourselves a mission
To ride out motives inside
Oh, with vague description of what we have been missing
So why would anyone try

It was always worth it
That's the part I seem to hide
And the busy ant empire
Put all your clothes inside

I wasn't always cargo, I was kind of my own
I guess I'll pack up my mind
I it took so much effort not to make an effort
Oh, what a flawless design

It was always worth it
That's the part I seem to hide
And the busy ant empire
Put all your clothes inside, even as I left Florida

It was always worth it
That's the part I seem to hide
And the busy ant empire
Has always were to hide

It was always worth it
That's the part I seem to hide, even as I left Florida
Far enough, far enough, wasn't far enough

Couldn't quite seem to escape myself
Far enough, far enough, far from Florida
We were all drowsing in cruise control
Far enough, far enough, wasn't far enough

I stood on my heart supports thinkin'
Oh, my God
I'll probably have to carry this whole load
I couldn't remember if I tried

I couldn't remember if I took my brain out
Threw it so directly at the goal
I couldn't remember if I, I could have my mind erased
And still not know exactly what I don't already know, even as I left Florida






No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews