Blog Archive

Sunday, January 24, 2016

What does yoga mean to me? Chapter 24 - Liar

How could I have been surprised? Sitting in this office and watching my contract get torn up in pieces was absolutely inevitable.
This behaviour was something I had witnessed for years, the way the brothers had routinely dealt with employees, suppliers and clients alike; bald faced lying, broken promises and broken contracts, constant threats of legal action to keep people from suing them first, credit accounts always past due and cut off, even rumours of dealings with biker gangs and other potentially worse criminal activity.
Sitting in this chair now there was shock to be sure, in the past I had always felt immune to it all. I hadn’t been unscathed by any means but I had always kept my head down and stayed out of the way so for the most part I avoided their chaos.
However, I was more than aware of the valued colleagues abused, stolen from and lied to; the beloved clients who had walked away after one lie too many from the faces of the company.
This time it was my turn, I had been set up and I had been too naïve and arrogant to see it coming.

So here I was, I had painted myself into a corner. The middle brother was still ranting but I was too stunned to listen closely. I was reeling and started to panic as I realized my stark options - slink home in shame, swallow my pride and admit defeat, but resume an admittedly comfortable if problematic life?

Stay and endure complete humiliation working for a madman?

Or was there a third option, a Hail Mary?

I quickly headed home to pack a bag and left for Edmonton that morning. Bob had coached and tutored me all year, it was his vision of my future I had bought into; how could he not be my advocate now and step in on my behalf?
The nine-hour drive back was torture, and I was at the Edmonton office at 6am so I could be the first thing Bob dealt with.
He pulled into the parking lot at 8am sharp and as soon as I saw his face I knew I was completely and totally fucked…it was clear the brothers had been on the phone getting their story straight and now it was his turn to twist the knife.

-          I was Kelowna’s problem now, I didn’t work for Bob anymore so there was nothing he could do even if he wanted to, what was I even doing in Edmonton without permission, I hadn’t cleared the trip with the Kelowna office and they were now considering firing me, did I realize how much trouble I was in… - 

In hindsight, I could have walked into a dozen offices in Edmonton and been hired that afternoon. Realistically though there was no way I was mentally prepared to face my friends and family and admit that everything I had worked for and planned for that summer was a lie.

I got back in the car and started the long drive back and this time the drive was far worse. There was no mistaking what my next meeting was going to be like; I was either going to be fired or accept a job working for one of the worst people I had ever known.

There were no surprises this time. I was written up for insubordination, the original contract offer was officially rescinded due to the written warning now on my file (WTF?) and my new job would be selling for him in the Kelowna and South Okanagan. There would be no salary, I would work for commission only and I would receive no leads from the office, I was expected to door knock everyday to find my sales. I knew how hard my job had just become but I accepted anyway.







"Liar" Built to Spill

I wouldn't be a liar
No, I wouldn't be a liar
If I told you that
I wouldn't be a liar

When things are all you think of
And plans are all you make
And thoughts are all you dream of
Your falls are all you take

Look out, the world's destroying you
Relax, it isn't fair
Mother nature's disposition
She don't mind, she don't care

She don't mind, she don't care

I wouldn't be a liar
No, I wouldn't be a liar
If I told you that
I wouldn't be a liar

Passing over, passions pour
Passing everything
I wouldn't be a liar
No, I wouldn't be a liar
If I told you that

It takes up all of your life
These decisions you make
It takes up all of a day
Making them all

Well, outside on the patio
The piano's weeping too
Forget about it all for a little while
She don't mind, she don't care

She don't mind, she don't care
She don't mind, she don't care

And I wouldn't be a liar
No, I wouldn't be a liar
If I told you that
I wouldn't be a liar

You see, it seems minor to me
You see, it seems minor to me
You see, it seems minor to me
You see, it seems minor



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews