Blog Archive

Thursday, January 21, 2016

What does yoga mean to me? Chapter 21 - It's Not the Fall That Hurts

Once the house had been packed and moved at the end of July 2002, I had serious decisions to make. Angela had already been in Edmonton for months and now my house and home were there too.

My railroad job was BC based and I had nine years of seniority built up as an engineer.
My options were to stay on the seniority list and try to find postings that provided bunkhouse accommodations, try to find a railroad job in Alberta, or quit railroading altogether and start a new career.

My heart told me it was time for the third option as I had been unhappy with the working conditions and the labour relations for years, but I still went in to the CP Rail depot to drop off my resume when I was home for a few days in August.

The rest of the summer saw me travel back and forth between Edmonton and Northern BC as I would get some shifts in and then come home for a few days. The driving was already unbearable and it wasn’t even winter yet so I knew this was unsustainable.

At the end of August while I was home, my neighbour came over to introduce himself. It was a friendly enough visit but he also had a motive, he owned a security alarm company and he was here to try and sell me a system. We had a nice conversation, I agreed to think about the quote he presented but then he surprised me with a seemingly offhand comment.

“When you get sick of all the driving, come and see me about a job…”

I chuckled, thanked him and showed him out, but I couldn’t possibly take the offer seriously! I knew absolutely nothing about the security industry and the pay cut would be drastic. When Angela got home we both had a good laugh and I forgot about it immediately.

Not a week later I was on my way to Prince George to start a week as a yard engineer, and as I drove through Jasper it began to snow…in August.

The rest of the drive was miserable, and once I got to PG things got worse. I had been bumped from my expected job and now I was told to be in Quesnel the next day. I jumped in the car to carry on, but before I arrived there I was told I had been bumped again and now was on the board in Williams Lake. Furious, I asked them to book me off duty with an illness and turned around to head back to Edmonton. The entire trip had been dangerous, tiring and ultimately pointless. I was heading home having made no money and it would be at least a week before I would return to work again.

As I drove home I started to reconsider my neighbours offer and tried to imagine a way I could make a new job work financially. By the time I got home to Edmonton I had made up my mind that I would take a leave of absence from the railroad and give something new a try. If the pay was low enough I could actually top it up with Employment Insurance payments and our finances would be manageable. I gave him a call when I got home on Saturday and was startled to learn I would start my new job on Monday.

There were several things about working for a family owned company that were new and very different than I was accustomed to. On the positive side, I no longer had to work in a contentious labor union v management environment. Everyone was treated like family and there were real efforts to have everyone feel like they were a part of something. If you had an idea that you thought would work there was an open door to discuss it and the company was nimble and agile at the start.

On the negative side, it was run like a family business, in that the family had short fuses and had no problem airing out the dirty laundry in front of everyone. There were three brothers in charge and a nephew on the staff as well and they all had open running conflicts with one another. It was not uncommon to see an actual fist fight break out in the middle of the office.

Second, the three brothers all wanted to live like millionaires and pay themselves accordingly, often at the expense of minor things like paying suppliers or employees. There were a couple times that payroll was late, and we often had to delay installations until cash could be raised to get product released.

Personally, I found it to be the perfect environment to start a new career. In many ways it was like the Wild West but there was a real encouragement to learn and grow, and the company was big enough that product reps took us seriously and spent time with me to help with the learning curve.

At the start, I was a simple labourer. I would ride in the van with an experienced tech and shadow them on the job site. I would assist where I could and do the tasks that made their life simple, and they were always great about answering my questions and allowing me to try new techniques. I found myself enjoying it so much that in December when I got a call from CP Rail saying they were interested in hiring me, I wasted no time declining the offer, and I also sent in my final resignation papers with BC Rail. The conversion was complete.

In the spring of 2003, I was called into the senior brother’s office for a meeting, where the unexpected offer was made to move me into sales. I had always imagined myself in sales in an alternate life and I was thrilled to accept on the spot.  I decided I would sink or swim and chose to be paid in full commission; my reasoning was I would very quickly find out if I was cut out for the sales life. I had a massively steep learning curve but I found I had a natural ability as well, and by the end of the summer I was back to making as much as I had on the railroad!

There was an unexpected bonus in choosing to be paid full commission. I had complete freedom to make my own hours and come and go as I pleased, as long as I made my targets. Month over month I was beating even my own lofty goals and I soon grew to love the lifestyle and free time the new career afforded me. By 2007, even with Angela gone along with her share of the household income, I was earning enough on my own to compensate.

Despite everything else in my life going to hell, career wise my life was as good as it had ever been. I was content, I had freedom and I had a great income.

Of course the universe was going to pull that rug out from under me as well.


It's Not the Fall That Hurts - Caesars

All my life I've been fall- fall- falling apart,
Been tumbling down quick first right from the start
I never learned just get up and go on
Until I'm just knocked right off of my feet

But it's not the fall that hurts
It's when you hit the ground
Cause it's not the fall that hurts
It's when you hit the ground

Stumblin' with every step I take
And it seems I can't get a grip
I'm soon gonna slip
And then I look down
I see that the ground
Is closing in fast again
And then boom

But it's not the fall that hurts
It's when you hit the ground
Cause it's not the fall that hurts
It's when you hit the ground




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews